Thursday, September 12, 2013

your dog's gut...what you need to know:

I have been told that what goes on in the gut of a mammal, ourselves included, effects health tremendously. Bella was constantly bothered by ear infections and skin issues and my research demonstrated that its a well established fact that if there is an allergy (many affected by immunity, immunity is compromised in the gut, mange is an immunity issue which leads back to the gut which is where 70% is health issues start...PEOPLE TOO?) I bet so, but, animal folk...I am not an MD not a DVM, I am a frustrated owner like you trying different things since my dog, unlike the people I know, only eats what I give her. When the summer started Bella and Buddy had a fascination with our garden....particularly parsley but they also loved raw pepper, carrot, spaghetti and clam sauce, ooops, sorry, that's not a health food unless its Barilla high fiber pasta-it was-or you are Italian. I am. The parsley thing was really a mind blower as my parakeet was more likely to go in pursuit of parsley but Bella and Buddy loved it. Recently, reading Dr. Mercola's site (he has Dr. Becker, a vet writing for him as well) there was talk about our guts and Dr. Becker likewise was talking doggie guts. She said there were ways to help boost immunity from the gut. Our pups were on a great vitamin but it wasn't enough for Bella. Then Bella got yet another ear infection...... I stopped, I thought.......I read and reread. Hmmm, something else was going on here. She had been treated a number of times with antibiotics and I figured out that this was not a germ we were fighting this HAD TO BE YEAST. So I called around and found out where I could get cytology on Bella's ears. I found it...they found it. YEAST! I KNEW IT, had to be...all that medication destroying the normal flora. Bella had been on probiotics for about a month already but the thing is how to get the yeast out of her ears. We switched the approach. We cleaned her face and ears with an RX antimicrobial wash...we dabbed her chin, wiped her ears and chest. VIOLA` suddenly things got better for Bella in days. We are giving her acidophilus in between her probiotic mix from Mercola and its been miraculous. Well, I continued to read the Mercola site to find the doctors there recommending quercetin as something to help with immunity and the gut.........GUESS WHAT? It's found in parsley! Bella without reading the Mercola site and running on instinct knew what she needed while granny is here saying DUH........... Remember, the topics we are writing about pertain to my dog and are based on vet advice. Anything written here is NOT meant to be, NOR IS IT a replacement for licensed vet care. My vet, Jack Biederman, DVM is very open to adjuncts and alternatives and helped Buddy recover from the mange in a flash by answering my question, "Dr. Jack, is there anything else I can do to help Buddy get well?" Dr. Jack suggested that anecdotally there was evidence that fish oil helps. He was right...of course he was right, he's a professional and all health matters for people and animals belong in the hands of a professional. However, today, most mainstream healthcare professionals are very conversant in things like the above...ask the question...do some research and be able to ask a more intelligent question. And while on this topic, folks, you can do the dame with your medical doctor. I was vitamins D deficient and if I had not asked my doctor to run the test, he would have never known what was wrong with me. Communication with professionals is essential for wellness. Ask the questions, you will be surprised at how receptive your doggie doctor and your MD are ;o) So Bella created her own break through and I just happened to catch up with her in this past week. xox i

No comments:

Post a Comment